Learn How To Reduce Your Accent
Speak More Clearly
Be understood. Be confident.
Sound, intonation, and rhythm patterns are different in each language or dialect. If a speaker wants to learn Standard Global English or an "American" accent, they must first learn to hear (and see and feel) the differences between their current speech patterns and Standard English. It is then that goals can be established and new speaking patterns and habits taught and learned, through targeted exercises, practice, and carryover techniques. Accent modification may also include improving use of English grammar, as well as increasing awareness for differences in cultural communication styles. Accent work may be combined with improving overall voice use and enhancing communication skills for professional speech.
Group Classes and 1:1 Programs Address
- Ability to distinguish between standard and non-Standard American English pronunciation
- Exercises to improve speech and sound errors, intonation, and grammar
- Practice and activities that are effective and fun--really ;)
- Carryover assignments that include downloadable audio and text, and videos tailored to YOU
- Practice using your most frequently used professional vocabulary
- Oral reading of language related to your business/profession
- Practice delivering short talks
- Conversational dialogues and talking on the telephone and online
- Mindset issues that affect your communication skills
To find out if accent modification is right for you, take a free screening. You will need a microphone and approximately 5 minutes to complete this screening. You will be redirected to the Compton Online website. If you are unable to access the recorder, contact us and we will send you the screener!
If you would like an overview of the major speech sound differences between your native language and Standard American English, contact me. I will tell you the speech issues and problems that speakers of your native language encounter most frequently when speaking English.
Take the screener (recording sent), and I'll explain YOUR specific issues.
Get a FREE print and audio lesson for becoming a more dynamic speaker and improving vocal stress and intonation patterns.
Why do people take accent reduction classes?
- To feel more confident speaking English with native speakers
- To increase opportunities for promotion that require excellent speaking skills
- To feel more a part of the culture they're within
- To have a greater sense of control over their self-expression
- To "take the mystery out" of the language
- To feel less self-conscious in certain situations
If any of these issues resonate with you, get in touch! We'll schedule a free consultation.