Starting October 24, 2017
For speakers of English as second language who wish to:
Increase confidence in both social and professional speech settings
**Prior to the class beginning, each participant will take an evaluation and meet for a 60-minute 1:1 session to discuss your speech and your goals for the program. A written report of your speech patterns will be generated from the evaluation. The speech issues of the participants will help tailor the course for the class. Individual attention will be provided to each group member (maximum 5 participants) throughout the class, as will custom-made materials targeting your specific sounds and issues. There is a fee for the evaluation. You may choose to forgo the evaluation and just take a free screener, which will provide me with your basic speech patterns.
Next Group Classes Starting January 16, 2018.
Classes will meet 10 times for 75-minute sessions. January 16, 18, 25, 30, Feb. 1, 5, 6, 8, 15, 20, 22.
Classes will meet from 6:30pm-7:45p.m at: 305 7th Ave., bet. 27th and 28th St. *Note: A class date or time may be modified if agreed upon by all members.
Group classes address the sounds and issues that are most important to the participants in the group. Consonant, vowel, and stress and intonation issues are a part of every group class. Included:
- Audio and print materials, as well as personalized MP3s that address each group member's difficult sounds and words.
- Weekly feedback (between sessions) to make sure you are on the right track.
- An opportunity to practice new skills through engaging activities, like reading aloud, conversation, and role play.
- An improved sense of confidence in your speaking abilities!
Contact Us for more information
for speakers of Indian languages (Hindi, Urdu, Telugu, Punjabi, Gujarat, etc.)
I have gotten so many requests from speakers of Indian languages, that I am having a class designed especially for you.
Here are the details:
10 sessions. 75 minutes each. Dates as follows*: 2/6, 2/8, 2/13, 2/15, 2/22, 3/6, 3/8, 3/15, 3/20, 3/22.
*If a certain date does not work for you, it is probably possible to change it, depending on group consensus (always has been in the past;))
Maximum number of participants: 5
Location: 305 7th Ave. (between 27th and 28th Sts., in Chelsea) 20th Fl.
Time: 6:45-8:00 pm
Price: Contact for pricing, and any other questions.
This class is designed for those who wish to:
- Increase intelligibility and decrease misunderstandings through...
- Addressing the consonant and vowel sounds most often affected by an Indian accent.
- Learning American English stress and intonation patterns that create the "music" of American English.
- Increase mastery and confidence in speaking American English, both socially and professionally.
In addition, other speaking elements, such as voice projection, rate, and mouth/jaw movement will be addressed, as they relate to the individual speaker's patterns. We may discuss other issues as well, such as why an accent is what it is (Indian accents are unique and have a very interesting history), and why it is so hard to change a speaking habit.
Included in program:
Print and audio materials for structured practice.
Weekly personalized recordings of your trickiest words or phrases.
Weekly feedback on your practice (sent mid-week).
Contact Us for more information or to register.